So I just saw 'Super 8', and in a nutshell... It was cute. It is one of the few original movies of the summer and it did entertain, but it just needed a bit more.
Here is my vague review of 'Super 8'
- The kids were believable and exciting to watch.
- The story was solid, but very Steven Spielberg-ish.
- The monster wasn't scary at all. Actually, the monster was something I would see from Doctor Who. In fact, it felt like a DW story.
- The characters were fun and fit the overall mood of the film. They were not planted for sex appeal or the cute factor... That's almost rare these days.
- There was a nice nod to George Romero.
- I didn't like the 'feel good' pieces of the movie, but it didn't distract from the film.
- The movie is supposed to be in 1979, but there were a few discrepancies (Sony walkman and Wonder Woman's costume)
- The collaboration of the teen movie makers were perfect.
- In some ways, this was E.T. for a new generation.
- It was predictable in most parts, but it was good to see original film.